Such a broad topic! This list could pretty much go on forever, so we'll try to keep it short…
A couple examples
- I fish and hope for compliments instead of giving them.
- More worried about not going to hell, or going to heaven, than spreading the good news!
- More worried about being treated right and how others are being toward me than treating others right and how I'm being towards them.
- Even in cleaning the house, I keep this bad attitude about "what I've gotta do hmph" instead of being glad we even have such a place and such things that need cleaning. It's a chance to be a good example! And instead I just feel disdain that "I gotta do this" while others relax. I should be full of joy and gratitude!
- More generally, instead of ever, ever being glad to teach or show something, especially spiritually, usually I am upset about the "unfairness" of it.
- I get rude if I can't relax when I want to.
- When someone is unloving towards me, usually "the vibe" makes me unloving back. However, when others are like this, it tends to be due to them having a bad day or something is wrong, and these are the cases where others need more love, not less…
- When my loved ones want to tell me about something that happened in their day, or something they are worried about, I am more worried about whatever agenda I have right then and there, or what my feelings are at the time, and just want them to be done, or consider me and what I might be thinking.
- All in all I just want others to show me love when all that matters is that I love in truth (which is the complete opposite).
- I tend to insist on getting my point across about something, or even just express a thought, even at the expense of peace or another's feelings.
- When I've done something wrong, I'm far more worried about "what I have to deal with" than being honest and confessing it, and occasionally mask this with an innocent "oh I just don't want to hurt them."
- I get frustrated when things don't go my way, instead of being thankful for whatever God is allowing to happen for His greater purpose. Example: being waken up in the middle of the night. Instead of being frustrated/agitated/mad at the waker-upper, especially when I can't get back to sleep, perhaps God is nudging me into doing something else at that time…
I should be selfless; concerned about others; submissive; a servant; here to do the Will of the Father, and not mine own.
- 1 Corinthians 13:5
- 5Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
- 1 Corinthians 9:24
- 24have you not known that those running in a race — all indeed run, but one does receive the prize? so run ye, that ye may obtain;
- Mark 9:44
- 44And whoever wants to be first must be slave to all. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.
- Mark 8:35
- 35Sitting down, Jesus called the twelve and said "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."
- 1 Corinthians 6:20
- 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Most (all?) of the time my desires are for the pleasing of my flesh in some manner or another. Sex, food, relaxation, comfort, etc. (not that any of these things are inherently bad). There are 2 options: Be a slave to this body of sin, or make this body my slave.
- 1 Corinthians 9:27
- 27But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it, for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfit [not stand the test, be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit]. (Amp.)
- Romans 6:6
- 6Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7For he that is dead is freed from sin.
However this only Christ can do - I can't do that myself - and I repeatedly fail when I try to do this myself.
- Romans 7:18
- 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
- Romans 8:10
- 10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
It is sooooo important that this body is used wisely and not selfishly!
- Romans 6:12
- 12Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
I should be thankful instead of sorry for myself and frustrated with how "hard life is" (ha!).
- Psalm 34:1
- 1I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
- Ephesians 5:18
- 18And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but ever be filled and stimulated with the [Holy] Spirit. 19Speak out to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, offering praise with voices [and instruments] and making melody with all your heart to the Lord, 20at all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. 21Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). (Amp)
Self examination with the Lord's guidance is a must. A heart with good in it will bring forth good, and one with evil will bring forth evil. Listen to the things you actually say to others… what have you stored inside it for others to hear when it overflows (ie of the abundance)? Me… without Christ I tend to bring forth evil. Often this is something as simple (when isn't it?) as having a bad attitude because someone else has a bad attitude…
- Luke 6:45
- 45A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
I like to think I put others first, but I'm pretty sure I'm just trying to make myself feel better. It's not natural for me to do this good thing.
- Romans 12:10
- 10Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Strive for God's Will. Stop striving for mine.
- Matthew 26:39
- 39And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
- Matthew 6:10
- 10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
- John 6:38
- 38For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.